I think that this module has been a real learning curve for me. Like most people on the course I hadn't touched any motion graphics software or designed anything for motion graphics. I feel i did the right thing by deciding on a concept very early on, this gave me longer time to develop ideas for the title sequence and spend more time on making my assets.
Through research and a previous knowledge of all things Arnold Schwarzenegger I decided to go through a comedy route to reach my resolution. This is because most people my age and older have nostalgia for his films. Also his voice and face are very expressive which most people find hilarious. One major thing that changed through an earlier crit that was very helpful was to change my original concept from Arnie Quotes to Arnie Movie Moments. This was a good turning point in my concept development because it gave me a bit more leeway for design ideas and it sounded more like a real program.
One thing i am pleased about sorting out first was the music. The music is often over looked when designers produce motion graphics, but i feel its just as important as the visuals. I wanted to choose something rocky and a bit cheesy to go with the sequence and KISS 'I was made for loving you' ticked all the boxes.
The fifth ident i produced i thought wasn't quite good enough to make the(minimum) final 4 because only a small percentage of Arnie fans who had a very good knowledge of the film 'Total Recall' would understand the joke. Also two severed arms in an ident may be a bit rash for tv.
The language in the Dillan you S.O.B also was a slight concern of mine, but i think that the other idents would be enough to show through the day and then after watershed (After 9pm you can swear on tv) the Dillan one could be shown. Also the title sequence would be shown at 10pm as shown in the idents.
The biggest qualm i had with the motion graphics as a whole was that i couldn't find enough good quality images of Arnie, that is why some of them look a bit pixelated at times. After effects was a difficult program to get your head round at times especially when you go 3D. But i feel i am comfortable enough with the basics and understand masks, pre comps, cameras etc.
One main thing that i fell down in was the story board area. In the silent movie brief i had alot of storyboards. But in the top ten i didn't have as many, i feel this is because i wasn't that precious with ideas. And ideas come ALOT faster that storyboards. So when i did feel an idea was good enough i did a very basic storyboard. I do agree they give you many many ideas but they take a long time. So i felt that doing storyboards for every idea i had was slowing me down. It wont get me the marks but i feel that i managed my time better in this way. I feel alot more relaxed than last year even though we had loads of other stuff to do (essay, optional module etc.)
I wanted to keep the packaging simple, using similar colours to the idents/sequence. I choose that particular picture of Arnie becuase i thought it summed up the concept i was going for, amazing, riduclous and funny. The sleeve was originally going to be all one bit of card but the ink cracked when i folded it and it looked horrible. This is why the front/back are stuck on. This will make me research into stock further before I print out.
I have enjoyed this module alot.

No comments:
Post a Comment