Wednesday, 26 May 2010

- End of Module Evaluation -

This module has been a test of my abilities. I have tried, learnt and i think succeeded in the new skills i have developed. Firstly in type and grid, i didn't know anything about layouts what so ever. I enjoyed the development of ideas through experimenting with thumbnails then applying them to the computer. I felt that drawing the designs by hand gave you useful visuals to pick out the best and most exciting design. Learning In Design i have felt is going to be very useful in the future. It was a little hard to pick up at first but i think i have the basics. This is evident in my lay out for the In Design brief we did, the end result looks quite professional. I don't think my layout skills are of a professional standard but with practice and time i will get up to a good level.
In the Speaking from Experience i experimented with video which was a first for me. I felt that imagining and drawing your ideas for the story board is much harder for a layout lets say because there is a lot more in a moving image than a still one. But i experimented with different shots and tried to imitate elements from other films. The editing of this video was also another skill which i developed. I found out that editing takes a long time and fitting visuals to audio can be a long process. I think i did well in the editing though, the music i chose for the video works very well and in my opinion makes the film.

My weaknesses lie within the type area i think. I have learnt alot about type since being on this course but i feel that alot of graphic design looks good due to the type used in it. In some aspects of my projects i feel i have done well with the type side of things. My speaking from experience brief led me to making a film poster in the style of 1970's b movie. I researched into alot of movie posters from that time and i think the end result of the font i used and adjusted looks like a genuine movie poster title font. But in other projects such as the communication is a virus brief i felt that the type wasn't thought out enough and it made the design of our calender look un-professional. I think next time more research and more variations for type is needed.

My favourite brief of this module was the Don't Panic - Vogue brief. This is because it was a quick brief and there was lots of artistic room for everyone to try different techniques out. It was also good because there was a chance of our designs being mass produced and put up in the the real world which is an exciting prospect for any young designer.

In the future i will try more visual variations for designs, think more about what type to use and work on the relationship between type and image.

No comments:

Post a Comment