Here is a few pages from my sketchbook that have the responces to the question i asked everyone on the course. What is the hardest thing about this course. Almost ALL of the respnces revolved around time, 'getting in on time', 'getting up on time', 'the amount of time were in college' etc.
All films have a tag line to.
I came to the conclusion for the film title to be TIME STEALERS
Its short and catchy and could defiantly work as a film title
and for the tag line. They thought they had more time.......they were wrong
The font used for the title doesn't work well because it looks like a sci-fi film title.
Using different elements from all my preliminary sketches i drew this final design. All the things within the illustration have links to either 1970's b movies or this graphic design course.
The car, explosions, helicopter and parachuting have been put in to make the poster look exciting. This makes it look like a real film because movie posters always have the most exciting elements of the film within the poster.
The pencil snapping, macbook, sleeping pens and clocks are relevant to the course.I researched into what font to use for the title i concluded that a thick serif font would work well with a 3d affect applied to it.
In the middle you can see the drawing i did of the font with the 3d sides added.
I then scanned in the drawing of the title and added colour. I think it looks like a movie poster font and works well with black and red.
Here are some visual variations for the layout of the poster now that i have a basic plan for the tag line, font for the title and the layout for the illustrations.In these pages from my sketch book i look into detail for the illustrations in the poster.
I looked at different vintage car designs but decided to draw the Cadillac design because its a famous design and looks 70's
I decided to use people from the course within the poster because then it has direct links to the course rather than just a 'character'
These page shows the pictures i took of the people on my course and some the drawings i got from them.

I had drawn these 2 running men prior to the decision to put students faces in the poster but i added there faces on after.
I took different photos of the the 'main' characters in the poster being Josh and Ailsa. I liked different elements of different photos so i cut them up and stuck them together using face book and then drew them from that.
Here is the process i took when drawing and adding colour to the illustrations.


I started with a blank canvas and added the not yet coloured illustrations i had to give a feel for the composition i wanted.

When i had coloured the illustrations i started to arrange them. Also added the main 'characters'
I wasn't happy with the colour of the floppy disks so i made them a closer hue. I also flipped the side of the helicopter because it didn't look right above Ailsa's head.
I added another clock in the background and tried it being the circle background which everything was composed around but it looked to messy with too much going on.

I added clouds to fill up some of the space that hadn't been used, i also revisited the parachuter and made him look more realistic. I made the clock in the background smaller. I also changed the colours of the running men (ben and sam) so they were both wearing grey suits. I did this mainly because the blue and brown suit didn't look good. I also added arthur.

I added a red circle because you couldn't see the shards of the pencil braking when it was in front of the cloud because there was to much going on. The colour of the circle also links back to the title.

With the circle in the back ground i decided to add the same colour as the title to it because then it would link together.
After composing the poster i had to add the info at the bottom which all posters have. It has the actors, writers, producers, directors etc.
I researched into film posters and the type that they used at the bottom. I found that they all used different fonts but ALL of them squashed it together to make it long. This may be because they need more room to fit in all the information needed.
I used Georgia font because it looked best when squashed.
I thought it would be a good idea to have members of staff to be the producers of the 'film' so i put Fred as director, Amber as producer, Lorenzo as screenplay and John as casting director.
And the students i used in the poster as the starring 'actors'
In the final composition i added a few little touches to make it look like a genuine movie poster.
I added a R rating icon, which is an american movie rating system.A Vistascope and Cinemaphonic Quadrovision logo. Which is a real and also fictional type of film that they used in the 1970s.
Here are some design sketches i did for the dvd sleeve.

Back of the sleeve, i kept it simple but added a bar code and 'copyright' to Leeds College of art to make it look like a real dvd package.
Here are some of the designs i did for the dvd. I went for the simpler design (middle right) because the other designs looked to busy and didn't look as professional. 
I bought a traditional bell clock that was a prop in the trailer. I thought i could use it in my range of products and also use the box to house the poster and dvd. It also works well with the theme of time and the new students could use the alarm clock to help them with time management.

I wanted to put the time stealer logo on the clock face but i couldn't get to it with out braking the clock.

I used photo shop to show what it would appear like if it were possible.

This is the box i got the clock in, i designed some packaging to wrap round the box so i could use it as the the vessel for all my products.
I tried to keep the design of the box simple and intriguing, i put a list of contents on the back of the box.
I had an idea of including a cinema ticket with in the pack. This works well with the them of movies. I tried to imitate the style of old style movie tickets. Which had the name of the theatre, where i put our college and the place, where i put Yorkshire. The price seems a bit high for a cinema ticket but it is the price of this level 4 course.
I tried grey and black and made the black look a bit worn because all the vintage tickets i looked at looked old and faded.Here i tried it with a blue back ground and white writing. The white didn't look realistic because they wouldn't of used white ink on the old tickets
Looking at the vintage tickets closer i noticed that they all either had red or black ink. Some times with both. I tried the boxes in red and the font in black with a brown background.
Taking elements for each design i put together this final design with the red boxes and worn black font and a grey background. I think it looks like a real old 1970's cinema ticket.To make it even more realistic i cut out semi circles from each side because that is what the old tickets used to have, to make it easier to tear out the tickets from the roll. I used my scalpel to make little cuts and then i teared the excess of to make it appeared cerated.




No comments:
Post a Comment